This post is sponsored by Horizon Organic, but the content and opinions are my own!
Alright, I've been asked for posts like this for awhile now, so here's the first one: breakfasts! I'll do a follow-up with lunch ideas soon!
If you don't know me, I have two kiddos: Silas (who just turned 3) and Verity (16 months). They are incredible eaters and I attribute that to a few things: breastfeeding (since breastmilk changes flavor based on what the mama eats), never really doing purees or anything like that (I always chewed the food for them before they had teeth haha!) and the fact that they eat what we eat, no questions asked. There is no other option -- our lives are busy and I already cook 3 meals a day from scratch, so I'm not making any extra/special meals! They eat what I make or they wait until breakfast the next morning haha! Mean mom? Maybe. But while there are lots of choices they will get to make in life, dinner isn't one of them ;)
The kids usually wake up between 7-7:30 every morning and immediately get a cup (Silas) or bottle (Verity) of milk -- it usually tides them over for a bit before breakfast and allows me to get everyone settled, clothes picked out, just lets us kind of get our wits about us without diving straight into making breakfast after rolling out of bed! They also get milk before bed -- both of the kids have super fast metabolisms and since they eat dinner at 5:30/6 and don't wake up until 7:30 the next morning, the milk before bed at 7pm really helps them sleep longer and more deeply!
We've always bought the Horizon Organic brand of milk for our kids and they just came out with a new grassfed version! I CANNOT tell you how excited I was to hear this-- we're pretty obsessed with all things grassfed over here, haha. We ran to Walmart and grabbed a container for ourselves and y'all, Silas would NOT put it down! It's just super fresh and so creamy -- we will absolutely be buying it from now on! Click here to learn more and for a coupon to go snag yourself some, too: https://ooh.li/1f2c8bb
After their milk, I start making breakfast and then while they're in their highchairs eating, I utilize that time and get myself ready for the day! It's way easier to do my hair and makeup while they're strapped in and immobilized ;)
Here are my favorite breakfast go-to's:
- Oatmeal and fruit (I always make their oatmeal with milk and then mix in some grassfed butter, cinnamon and maple syrup -- the kids are OBSESSED with it!)
- Scrambled eggs with avocado and fruit (usually some kind of berries or banana)
- Protein shake (our fave version: milk, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, peanut butter, kid-friendly protein powder, a little bit of coconut oil and 1-2 ice cubes)
- Hardboiled egg cut up, toast and butter, fruit
- Avocado toast (I smash up 1/2 of an avocado, spread it on a piece toast and top with a little bit of salt, garlic powder and everything but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's)
- Mashed or roasted sweet potatoes, organic whole wheat flax mini waffles, fruit
- Sausage, scrambled eggs and fruit
I hope that list of ideas is helpful for you guys! I can't wait to get started on the lunch one!
What do you usually make for breakfast?? I would love to hear from you!